Preparing for your Maternity Session
1. Please come with your makeup and hair ready.
I can recommend some wonderful hair and makeup artists, or you can easily do your own. It is recommended to go a little heavy on the mascara and to wear a lipstick color that compliments your natural coloring and isn’t too dark.
2. Please bring a few clothing options for you and your husband to wear; we can pick the best looks at the studio or once we are at the outdoor location. When selecting your outfits, it is recommended to stay away from overly trendy styles because you want these images to have a timeless feel. (Trust me on this one!) Think about what would look good hanging up on the walls of your home. Pick clothing that will compliment the colors in your home so that you can display your photos proudly
3. If you are planning on wearing one of my dresses –
Please have on nude colored underwear (boy-short, a thong or high cut briefs are best) and a nude colored strapless push-up bra. I do not recommend wearing a regular bra and tucking in the straps, that can lead to a lack of support, and bumpy material under the dress. Sometimes, I will not be able to edit out these imperfections, and it is better for everything to look the best it can during the session rather than trying to fix things later. *Please make sure that the underwear you choose is not too tight!* Panty lines will show in the form fitting, tight gowns, and do not look good at all, just like with any other outfit you wear. It’s better to have loose underwear, than underwear that cuts into your skin and will create visible bumps and indentations under the gown.
4. Mommies-to-be can also bring a pair of maternity skinny jeans, a tank top, and a maternity top. If you have a maxi dress you would like to wear, please bring that as well. I have two dresses I provide for all sessions, but you are welcome to bring additional outfits. Traditional/cultural outfits are welcomed as well.For the Dads, a button down shirt with jeans is great, or a t-shirt can look great too. For both parents, I always recommend wearing neutrals and earth tones. Please no bright patterns or colors, they can be overwhelming in pictures, as well as clothing with noticeable logos. Really strong colors can also create color casts on your skin, and those aren’t flattering either.
5. For older siblings that you would like to include in the session- a t-shirt and jeans is great for boys, even a button down shirt, and for girls dresses always look great. Shoes are optional, usually bare feet for all people being photographed can be a safer and more comfortable option. Please bring snacks and toys for kids to play with during the session, and make sure they have eaten a good meal prior to the session, and that we are not scheduling to meet during nap time.
6. Optional ideas for props –
sonogram picture or strip of sonogram pictures,
a pair of booties or shoes
If you have other items you would like to incorporate in the pictures, please let me know ahead of time so I can plan accordingly.